Wednesday, March 18, 2015

If Euros Grew on Trees...

Right now I seem to start all of my sentences with "back in the states", and by the time I have to leave the Netherlands, I will be starting all my sentences with "back in Breda". The struggle is real. But what is even more real is the struggle for money around here!

Back in the states, I was an actual citizen who was able to get a job and work full time on top of being a student; thats when I was working for the news station. It was pretty darn nice to get that paycheck every other Friday. I saved up very penny I possibly could for this trip. And now that I am about 2 months in, I sometimes wish I had a job here! Saving money can be a bit rough sometimes. 

Before you go to study abroad, make sure that you have a new credit/debit card with you. And when I say new, I mean, one that actually works in Europe. That is one thing that I definitely didn't think about before I came overseas, and I regret my decision a bit. Everywhere in Europe takes cards with chips in them, so when you pay for something, you don't slide your card, you put it in the pin pad. I know it sounds confusing.

So, whatever bank you have, make sure you get a new one ahead a time. If not, then you will be in the situation I am in - paying extra for everything. If you don't have a credit/debit card that works, then you will be paying fee's for each ATM use to take out money. And since your card won't work here, you have to constantly take out money. It can be a real drag. Luckily for me, my dad is bringing my new card out in April when we meet up in Copenhagen.

I am the type of person who stresses all the time about money. I am constantly thinking "how will I ever pay off college", and "what happens when I run out of money here in Breda?" Better yet, I worry about the possibility of not getting a job when I graduate. When it all comes down to it, I keep telling myself not to stress. I am in this beautiful country, and may never come back! But if you are in a crunch and need to save a penny or two while abroad, here are some tips that can help you.

  • Don't go out so much! I know it is tempting to go out with your friends and have a good time at the bars or whatever, but try not to go out so much. Restaurants can get a bit pricy. Try and limit yourself to going out once or twice a week.
  • Split the tab. If you do go out, which is totally okay, then split the bill with your friends. I know that every time me and my girlfriends go out, we always split the tab and share meals. It makes things cheaper, but we still have a good time out. 
  • Cook at home. Go to the grocery store at the beginning of the week, and get all the things you need. And make a list! I have a tendency to make a list, but get things that are not even on the list. So, make a list and stick to the list. Get things you only really need for that week. 
  • Know where to get the cheap tickets. If you are like me, and here to travel, then you probably are traveling on a budget. Well, if you are studying abroad in Europe, go to ryanair.com. This website will save you so much money when traveling. You can find plane tickets for as low as €10! No joke. So plan your travels ahead of time, and get the right deal.
  • Walk or ride a bike. Back at home I was so used to driving my car everywhere, so when I came here, walking or riding a bike was something I really didn't want to do. Taking a bus around here in Breda costs €3,50 one way, and €5,50 for a day pass. It can be pretty expensive when you think about it! Especially since it is even more expensive when converted to American dollars. Nothing here is actually "far". I walk 25 minutes each way to school. If you chose to get a bike, that works too! It saves you money, and lets you enjoy the beauty of the city you live in.
  • Taking the train? Get an OV-Chip Card. You can actually use the chip-card for trains and busses around the Netherlands here, and they save you money as well. I know that because I am an exchange student and here for only 6 months, I can't get it free (usually the school will pay for it), but I can buy one for €7,50 and then add money on the card; but it still saves me money!
Living on a budget isn't easy, especially when you are in another country and want to do and see everything. Sometimes I forget that I have American dollars in my bank account. I start getting in this zone where I know everything as euros, even though I call them bucks. 

Oh, and one more thing that I didn't put on the list, but goes out to all the girls...stay away from Primark. It is the devil. It sucks you into it's doors and lures you in with all their low prices and amazing fashion pieces. Luckily there isn't one here in Breda (if there were then I would be broke by now), but there is one in Eindhoven which is just about a 30 minute train ride away. If you are trying to save your money, then ladies, I suggest you stay away from Pirmark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment