Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A day of traveling

On the day that I was traveling back to the United States, I wrote down everything about how it was going back...I know I am late, but here it is!

6:30 am - On the train

Intercity Direct naar Schiphol. That's it. That's my final destination within this country. No more traveling by train to go here or there. My time in the Netherlands has finally come to an end. 6 months ago after I got here, I wanted to go home; and now I am leaving and I want to stay! It is funny how that works. It's weird knowing that I am traveling somewhere, and not coming back to Breda after. I have gotten so used to doing that, and now, no more. My adventures in the Netherlands are over. Time has gone by way too quickly. What will I miss? The feeling of being out there. I loved the feeling like I was always going somewhere new and exploring somewhere different. I already miss my friends, they're like my international sisters. It is going to be so weird not living with them! Like I don't know what to do when I can't just text Heidi and say "lets get coffee, 10 min." I keep telling myself that this should be exciting because I am finally going home, but I seem to just think about what will be missed about it here in the Netherlands. I don't really have anything left here anymore. All of my friends are gone and back to their home countries, there is good coffee back at home - even though it won't be from Bagels and Beans, it's okay. I keep thinking about how I will be with Alex (my boyfriend) again when I get to LA. Oh, the thought of it makes me so happy. Like mom said, which I totally agree with, "this is just another chapter in your life." Maybe I'll return to the Netherlands again, who knows! All I know is I will most definitely return to Europe!
- On de train naar Schiphol -

8:15 am - At Schiphol Airport

I'm on my way home. Yep, it's final. I am 99.99% sure I didn't leave anything in the room in Breda, and I am so dang excited! When I said good-bye to Agata this morning at the train station and had all my bags with me, all I could think about was how I wanted to get rid of them! Well now they are all checked, and I don't have to worry about them until I get to Copenhagen. After I got off the train and made my way over to check my bags, the lady was so nice! She put the tags on, gave me my boarding pass, and told me about some "priority" thing I was a part of I guess, and how I can hang out in the SAS Lounge and stuff since I am business class for this flight. I am curious if it will be like first class or not. It's nice not worrying about my bags for a little while, I don't have to even think about them until I get to Copenhagen when I will have to re-check my bags, and then wait for the ridiculously long flight home. Sitting here in the airport is a bit weird. I feel like I am going on a short vacation to visit friends or something...I am so used to always coming back to Breda, and now that I know I won't be anymore, it's a bit strange. I just want to chill on these flights - read my book, drink some tea, and listen to music. Before I know it, I will be back in LA! But first, Copenhagen. (: I am secretly really excited, only because I really like the city, even thought I will only be in the airport.
- Doei Nederland! -

1:00 pm - Copenhagen Airport

Well, I finally made it. It feels like the longest day ever already and it's only like 1:00. I am still trying to grasp the concept that I am going home! On the flight to Copenhagen from Amsterdam, I sat next to this really nice German girl. We talked the entire flight, and it was nice to have the company, and get my mind off of thinking about a million things. While we were taking off, it was a bit sad. I was just looking out of the window as we flew away, and I was thinking about everything! Thinking about what it was like to live in the Netherlands, all the memories while I was there, and everything I will miss. It felt like just yesterday that I got on the flight to come here, and now I am leaving. It really is surreal. I honestly felt like I was leaving home all over again. But after I got here to Copenhagen, it was kind of a pain in the butt. I got off the plane and went straight to the baggage claim. Now, when I talked to my mom about it when she flew from Italy to LA with a stop in Copenhagen, she told me it was really easy to re-check your bags and that you wouldn't have to go through security again and all this stuff, well flying with SAS, that isn't the case. I had to re-check my bags, go through security again and after an hour of doing all that, it took me another 30 minutes just to walk over to my gate and go through passport check. To say the least, its good to just be here by the gate, I just am actually dreading this long flight...we shall see how it goes.
- I will miss you Europe! To America I go! -

??? - On the plane

This is the longest flight of my life. Oh my gosh. I get on the flight, and of course it is packed with people, it takes off, I listen to music, watch some cartoons, listen to some music, eat a hot meal, take a nap, and wake up to find out that there is 7 hours left of this flight!! Um, what!? This flight is not fun.

??? - Still on the plane

I was crazy to say I was excited about this flight. There is still like 4 hours left, and I keep trying to stay busy. I have read my book, I have taken a nap, drank water, watched plenty of TV on the tablet screen in front of me, I feel like I have done it all! I think the highlight of the flight so far has been flying over Greenland and seeing all of the cool ice burgs and such. Otherwise, this flight is just too long. I have seen plenty of people doing yoga and stretches and walking around on this flight. I tell you, if I didn't have a window seat, I would be standing up, walking around and all of that. Sitting here for so long really makes your bum hurt and your legs hurt. I am counting down the hours until I finally land!

After I finally landed and got off of that flight full of people, it was the best feeling ever. I felt like Forest Gump and could just run like there was no tomorrow! It felt so nice to stretch, and move, and not sit anymore! It took a while for the plane to get to where it needed to be for us to get off, and when we finally did, we walked what felt like a mile to customs, and then I got my bags, went through customs again, and then walked out to see Alex (my boyfriend) and Tyler (my brother) waiting for me! It was 6 long months without Alex, and I tell you, there was no better feeling than giving him a big hug and kiss. It was weird though, because once I saw them, and I was in the car with my dad too, it was almost like I was ever away. It is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment