Saturday, July 4, 2015

American holiday's in the Netherlands

Being abroad means that you miss certain things, and I am not talking about missing all that delicious food from back at home; I'm talking about missing holiday's. Since I have been in the Netherlands, I was lucky enough to only miss Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July. Now I am not saying that they are really important holiday's, but it sure is better missing those like Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Christmas.

Now it does suck missing some of these holiday's because you are not with your significant other or your family, but your study abroad family will do just the trick. What I have learned is that holiday's spent abroad are really alright! Yeah it's different not being with your family for Easter, but you and your friends can totally rock the holiday.

Right now it is the 4th of July. That is just another day of the week to everyone here, but for me, it's America's Independence day! For some reason I have always loved this day. All the family getting together, BBQ, pool-side, good music, crazy conversations, and finish off the day with fireworks.

It's different not being with your family, having a BBQ, chilling out by the pool, and watching fireworks at night here in the Netherlands, but your international friends will love the idea! It is something they have never really celebrated or experienced before! That's when you can swoop on in and save the day.

This 4th of July, I am making hamburgers and BBQ brats, we're making mixed drinks, going to listen to some country music, I am going to teach my friends how to country two-step, it will be great.

I think when it comes to missing a holiday that is celebrated back at home, the best thing to do, is make the most of it. Have fun, and know that it is going to be different, but different is alright because I mean, come on, you came abroad for something different, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment