Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Q&A - You ask, I answer

When I was away in the Netherlands, and even now that I have returned, I have had many questions come in about studying abroad, living abroad, and everything in between. Well, now that I am back, and a lot of people are getting ready to leave to go abroad, I thought it would be the perfect time to answer everyone's questions.

Q: I don't really know what to pack, what are some good packing tips!?
A: Before I left for the Netherlands, I had no idea what I was doing, and I had no idea what to pack either. I looked online and checked out the average temperatures for each month, and then thought about what I would need for clothes. Packing is hard, especially for a long amount of time in a country you have probably never been to before. When you are packing though, remember that you will more than likely buy things when you are away. Here is a list of things I packed:
  • 4 pairs of pants
  • 5 pairs of yoga pants/leggings
  • 6 tank tops
  • 14 long sleeve/t-shirts
  • 2 dresses and 2 skirts
  • 3 jackets
  • Just about all my socks and underwear and bras
  • 2 pairs of converse, 1 pair of flats, 1 pair of tall boots, 1 pair of sandals, and slippers
In case you were wondering, my answer would be, yes, I overpacked. I had no idea what I would need or want while I was away. The biggest mistake I made, was overpack. I ended up buying a lot of different things, like more shoes, pants, a jacket, t-shirts, tank tops, dresses, and skirts. At first you think you won't buy anything, but you will, I guarantee you. So my best advice is to bring the least amount of stuff. Obviously you will need things like jackets and pants and probably a pair of shorts, but don't overdue it. When I was packing, there were plenty of times that I thought, "hum, I kind of wear this, maybe if I bring it I will wear it." Worst mistake. If you won't wear it all the time, then leave it behind.


Q: Is there anything that you wish you had brought with you, or wish you left at home?
A: I brought a lot of things, I really did. I brought two suitcases that I checked, along with a carry-on bag with all my electronics in it. I could have left a lot of toiletries behind. I brought extra toothpaste bottles, shampoo and conditioner, and more. Honestly, I should have left a lot of that stuff behind. There are some of the same brands that you can buy in the states, like toothpaste and some hair products, and then there are others that you have never heard of, but you can work around. I can say that it would have been best to leave behind all of the extra things like that. If you do not like spray-on deodorant, then make sure you bring plenty of stick ones because they are hard to come by, and same goes with make-up girls! Make-up is very very expensive, so bring plenty, unless you are okay with paying 15 euros for mascara. Things that I wish I brought? My nikes. I left them at home and I really regret my decision. You do so much walking, that you need good walking shoes cause your feet get tore up.


Q: How much money should I plan on spending while I am away?
A: You know, it is really hard to say how much you will spend vs. save while abroad. Before I left, I never even put that into consideration. What you need to keep in mind is that the euro to dollar difference will change constantly while you are away. Also, you will get charged a lot of money for everything - taking out cash, using your debit card, everything. I really can't tell you how much you are going to spend, but just remember that you will be paying for things like:
  • Traveling
  • Groceries
  • Clothes
  • Going out to eat or drink
  • Misc. things

Q: How do you prepare for that long flight over-seas?
A: You know, you can't really prepare yourself for that long of a flight, especially if you are like me, and have never gone to Europe before. I flew from LA to Amsterdam with one stop in Philly, and I can't say it was the best way, but it was a long day. You know, from LA to the east coast it is 5.5 hours, and then it was another 7.5 from Philly to Amsterdam. But no matter if you have a stop like me, or if you are going direct, you just have to dress comfy, make sure you sleep on the flight, and stay hydrated. Also for you girls, don't wear make-up on the flight. If you want to look pretty when you land, then put make-up on with like 2 hours or so remaining of your flight before you land to your final destination, otherwise your face will feel disgusting.


Q: When you get to the Amsterdam Airport, how do I get to where I need to be?
A: When I first got to the Netherlands, I was so lost and so confused. The airport is so different than what I am used to in the states, I really wished I had a manual! Here is what you will do. You will land, get off the flight, and follow everyone to customs where you will get your passport checked, followed by continuing to baggage claim. After you get your bags, you will go out to the exit. It is a bit strange the way it is, because there are a lot of shops and people and it seems very hectic. If you get really lost, you can ask the information desk (you will see when you are walking out) but otherwise, it's easy. Now, no matter where you are going, you will want to take the train; it is the cheapest and easiest way to get to your destination. Here are the steps to getting your train ticket.

  • Find the yellow kiosks near the Arrivals and Departures board. There are so many of them, and pretty hard to miss
  • When you go up to the kiosk, on the bottom left corner, there is a British flag, click on that to make the language in English
  • Next, you will see on the screen say "I want to go abroad" and "I want to buy a ticket" (or something like that.) Since you will be traveling to another part of the Netherlands, click on the box to buy a separate ticket. 
  • Next, there will be a bunch of yellow boxes on the left side of the screen, click on "Buy a one-way ticket"
  • After you click to buy a one-way ticket, there will be more boxes to show up, so you will then chose your destination. Some places like Amsterdam Centraal, Breda, and Rotterdam will more than likely show up, but if you are going somewhere else, then you will have to type in the destination. 
  • Once you have chosen your destination, make sure that it is for that day, rather than any other day. 
  • Next, click on "2nd class", because if not then you will be paying more for your ticket. 
  • It will also ask you how many tickets, and as I can assume you are probably traveling solo, then you click one, and then you will proceed to pay.
  • Note, this kiosk does not take cash, so you will pay with your card, and if you are paying with your American debit or credit card, then you will have to pay an extra 50 cents. 
  • After you pay, you will get your ticket. Now, if you are traveling to Amsterdam Centraal, Rotterdam, or Breda and planning on taking the Intercity Direct train, you HAVE to make sure you get your second supplement ticket - if not then you will get charged on the train. 
  • ** Also, a few of these steps while using the kiosk might be in a different order - I apologize ahead of time **
Once you have your tickets, you then need to check the Train Departures board and find the right train, and the right track. Once you go down the elevators to the tracks, you will see another set of departure boards, along with a screen at the track you are at saying which direction and type of train. If you are going somewhere that you can't take the Intercity Direct train, make sure you take the Intercity, because if you take the Sprinter, then it will take a very long time to get to your destination.


Q: How long did it take getting used to living in Europe?
A: Living in Europe is very different compared to living in the United States. I am a firm believer that it also depends on where you are studying abroad. If you are going to somewhere in the UK or Ireland, then I think you will be fine. If you are going somewhere like the Netherlands, then it will be a bit different. For me, it took me 6 months to get used to living in the Netherlands, and I know I am not the only crazy one because a friend from Aruba said the same thing. You have to remember that moving to another country means that there will be a different language, a different lifestyle, no more driving you car, and a lot of walking. I don't think I have done so much walking in my entire life! I think that every person is different, really. For me, it took me all the way until I pretty much left the Netherlands, to get used to it. You know, growing up in the U.S., you learn to do things a certain way, and when you are put in a situation where you can't do things that way anymore, it takes some time getting used to it. It is a good change, and it won't be easy, but that's all part of the experience of living abroad.


Q: How long does it take to get used to the Dutch language?
A: Before I left for the Netherlands, I actually downloaded an app onto my phone that taught me some Dutch. I highly recommend it too because it made things a little easier for when I got to the country. Obviously it is different being around a different language constantly. If you are somewhere in the UK, you just have to deal with accents, but anywhere else, you have to try and learn the language. It took me a while to get used to it though, I went through a stage where I would get so frustrated anytime I would go out to eat with friends because I would have to Google Translate everything on the menu! A lot of times I would ask for an English version, but places didn't have any. If you actually try to learn the language and speak the language, then it will be easy. Eventually, you get so used to being around the Dutch language, and you are so used to speaking only Dutch, that when you go somewhere else, it confuses you a bit; well that at least happened to me. And even though I am back in the States, I still say things like "dankjewel", "nee", and "alsjeblieft".


Q: What is it like going grocery shopping?
A: Grocery shopping is very different in the Netherlands. I have always been used to getting in my car and driving to Safeway, but when you are abroad, you can't really do that. I was lucky enough to live right in city center in Breda (pretty much like a downtown where everything is). If you don't get a bike when you are in the Netherlands, then walking is the next best thing, but luckily, things are not far away. There are a few different options for shopping for groceries in the Netherlands. I always went shopping at Albert Heijn (if you go, make sure you get a bonus card to save money on groceries). There is also Lidel and Jumbo that you can go to, but depending on where you live, Albert Heijn might be the closest to you. When you are in the store, you will notice that it is kind of the same as American grocery stores, but everything is in Dutch. It took me a little bit to get used to things not being in English, so this just goes back to how you need to learn the language so you know what things like, kaas, kip, spek, meergranen and so on actually is! Another good thing to remember is that wherever you live will probably have a really small refrigerator, so you have to go to the grocery store like 3 times a week or so. Oh, and when you get up to the register, don't freak out when they speak Dutch, if you say, "I'm sorry, English?" they will speak English. And if you get like me and go to the same Albert Heijn multiple times a week, the people remember you and remember that you are the American (:


Q: How different is school in the Netherlands, compared to the United States?
A: School is very different, but I think that it all depends on the person, the field of study, and the level of learning you are one. I went to NHTV and was a part of their International Media and Entertainment Management (IMEM) program. Compared to what I was doing at NAU, it was totally different. At NHTV I was able to take any classes I wanted - these classes ranged from production classes, business classes and more. If you work better alone in class like me, then you might have a bit of a challenge because NHTV does everything as group work. Unfortunately group work does not always work out as planned, but it teaches you to work better with different people. Since NHTV is an international school, there were a lot of students from all around the world that study there for all 4 years, along with exchange for 6 months like me. I worked with a number of students from the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Germany, and the UK - these were the students that studied for all 4 years. I think that school all depends on the person because I was not a fan of the way school was, and did not enjoy my time studying at NHTV, but everyone is different because I know friends that did the Tourism program absolutely loved it.

I hope I have answered as many questions as possible! If I missed any, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment