Monday, June 22, 2015

2 Weeks Left

I remember like it was yesterday, two weeks before I was leaving to the Netherlands. My best friend Sierra and I spent the day in Williams, AZ and went to Bearizona, got some coffee and pie from our favorite little diner, and then drove back to Flagstaff in the snow to watch a movie.

That was 22 weeks ago. Doesn't sound like much, but thats over 5 months. 154 days.

Here I am, sitting in my room on this cold, rainy morning with two weeks left here in the Netherlands. It really is crazy how time flies! You know, everyone always says that time flies when you are having fun, and that couldn't be more true. Over 5 months ago I was nervous as hell to leave to a whole new country. Going off into the unknown. No friends, didn't know the language, had no idea what the food would be like. Nothing.

5 months later, I am just as nervous to go back to the U.S. Weird, I know; but when you think about it, you start to get used to where you are. For me, I feel like I am fine being here and am used to the way life is now. I am not saying I don't want to go home, I am saying that you really start to get nervous to leave the place you have called home for the past 5 or 6 months!

I already made a list of things that I miss from back home, but what about things I will miss about the Netherlands? Now, I am not a sour person when it comes to studying abroad by any means, but being in Europe, I have found out that I am more of a "lets travel around the world, not live around the world" kind of person. Living in the Netherlands has been great! And that's why I have made a list of all the things I will miss about the Netherlands, and maybe even Europe in general:

  • Breda - Bagels and Beans: Okay, call me ridiculous, but I have find my "Luke's"!! I seriously go here every single day! The ladies that work here are the best ever, and the coffee is the best I have had in Europe, no lie. Oh, and did I mention that they are the only place in the Netherlands that has bagels!? If I ever go missing, you can find me sitting at a table here with a big cup of coffee. 
  • Breda - Grote Kerk: Being able to walk around city center and seeing the huge, gorgeous church is something you easily get used to seeing. It's so nice to hear the church bells throughout the day, and to see it outside of my window. If you ever get a chance to go inside, do it. It is one of the most beautiful churches I have been to.
  • Amsterdam - The city: Amsterdam is one of those cities that you can get to so easily, just hop on an Innercity Direct train, and you are there in 50 minutes. I loved taking a day trip to Amsterdam because the city is so pretty, and every time I go there, I feel like I can go and see something new each time. Sometimes when I take a trip here I can't help but think how awesome it is to say "Yeah, I am going to Amsterdam for lunch today". 
  • Eindhoven - Shopping: Every city has a city center with plenty of shops, even Breda. But when your mind says shopping but your wallet says no, the best place to go is Eindhoven! The city is only about 45 minutes by train and in my opinion is one of the better places to go shopping. Why? Primark. Think of a better and cheaper Forever21. 
  • Europe - Traveling: Living in the United States, it is hard to travel around the country easily because the country is so big! Not only that, but it is expensive. One great thing about living in Europe is that you can travel around other countries, for like next to nothing! Ryan Air is awesome for traveling, I mean the flight sucks but the price can't be beat. Not only that but countries are so close that you can even take a train if you wanted and it wouldn't even be as expensive as a flight from Northern California to Southern California.
  • Europe - The cafes: As an American, I can say that we are always on the go. Everything has to be done fast and we never really stop and enjoy life. Europeans are all about the easy and simple life. You can't walk into a cafe and get a coffee that is ready for you to take it on the go. Cafes in Europe are so cute, and so relaxing with the tables outside and the really slow service, it makes you stop with the busyness and relax with your coffee. 
  • Brussels - The city: My motto from living in Breda is that Brussels is always a good idea. There is nothing better than a 2 hour train ride for €15 to Brussels, Belgium. The city is gorgeous, there are some really good restaurants, good chocolate, and oh the waffles..yum. I have gone here more than I have been to Amsterdam....maybe I am just in it for the waffles?
So as you can see, there are plenty of things that I will miss. But if you noticed, the one thing that is not on this list, is all my friends. I have made some amazing friends from all around the world; Belgium, Finland, Russia, Aruba, Poland. I can't sit here and tell you that I am not going to miss my friends, because that would be the biggest lie I have ever told, but what I can say is that you have to accept it as it is. 

My friends/roommates have been there with me since day 1 when I got here. I have made lifelong friends that I can guarantee I will see again in the near future. That's the thing about studying abroad, I feel like you know it has been successful when you have traveled, experienced different cultures, and made lifelong friends from all around the world. In my eyes, that's what it is all about. I am glad I didn't stick with the only other American girl here. What's the fun in that when you can be with friends from Finland that teach you how to speak Finnish!

These girls are not just my friends, but they have been my roommates, and become my sisters. So yes, I will miss them like no other, but the one thing to remember is that this isn't a "goodbye". Think of it as a "see you later".


No comments:

Post a Comment