Saturday, June 27, 2015

Exams and Re-Exams

Exams suck, bottom line. Nobody enjoys taking tests in school. But the moment when you are thinking "okay, I did good in the class all semester, but the exam I am not so sure about", you start freaking out! Especially when your school won't give you any credits if you fail just one class abroad.

For my PR10 (international producing) class, that was exactly the case. I got great grades on all the assignments, but when it came time to take the exam, well I just wasn't prepared. Back at NAU, if you fail the exam, you have an opportunity to do extra credit work, or depending on your grade in the class, you might still be alright in terms of passing.

Here at NHTV, they definitely do things a bit differently. For one, I wasn't able to see my grade all block, I only saw it when final grades were posted. Second, apparently if you pass every assignment, but bomb the final exam, you fail the class. Luckily these Dutch have a thing called a re-exam!

At first I though how lame it was that they gave students a second chance to take the exam, but now that I see that you won't pass if you fail the final, I sure am glad they have re-exams. The only problem with taking re-exams...you have to take the exam again!

Here are some tips for if you were like me and just didn't quite get that grade you were hoping for on that final test:

  • Stop, think, and try to remember everything that was on the test. If you think back to what was on the test the first time, you have a general idea as of what could possibly be on the next one.
  • Find someone who didn't pass either and throw a little pitty party for the both of you. My friend Mimi and I both failed, so we went to Bagels and Beans and studied like the exam was tomorrow!
  • Make a study guide. They suck, yes, but they can also come in handy. I like to make tests study guides. So I will make a set of questions with their answers, and then make another sheet with just the questions, and when I feel I am ready, I will take the test! Think of it more as a pre-test kind of study guide.
  • Take breaks! My idea of a good break includes coffee, find your best break from studying and make sure you take time for it. But remember, when the break is over you have to get back to studying!
So you might have to re-take the exam, the way I look at it is like this: okay I have nothing to do for what, 9 more days before I head back to the United States, so at least this will keep me busy and give me something to do as the days slowly go by.

Make sure that you give yourself an incentive for studying, like tell yourself "when I am done with this studying, I am going to walk around, or go window shopping, or better yet, watch Netflix!" Just remember, if you are in a situation like me, passing that re-exam is crucial, so take it serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment