Saturday, June 6, 2015

Venice, Italy

Me enjoying Venice, Italy
Months ago, before my dad was coming out to visit me, my mom had told me that her and my brother were coming out here to Europe! I was so excited. They told me that it was going to be us three traveling all around Italy. Sounds like a great time, right? Well, as the time got closer for them to fly out, my schedule got busier and busier. I was afraid that I wasn't going to make it out. So, I told them that I can't go. My mom was bummed, and so was I. I really wanted to go to Italy! It would be one more place that I can go and check off my bucket list.

Taking things to just a few days ago, I woke up really early and thought "I should go to Italy!" It was THE craziest thing that I have ever done. Like, out of all the places I have gone, nothing was quite like this. By 7:00 am my flight was booked for Venice, Italy. At 9:00 am I was out the door, and by 11:00 am I was sitting in Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam thinking to myself "what the hell am I doing".

Well, what I was doing was going to Italy! When I got here to Venice, I knew nothing. All I knew is that my mom and brother were going to wait for me at the Arsenale stop from the ferry. So, my goal was to find a ferry to get me over to where I needed to be. I bought the tickets at the airport, and later found out they cost the same amount at the dock, for €15. Not too bad considering it was almost 2 hours on the ferry. It was nice though because when I walked out of the airport, I thought I was going to melt it was so humid. I definitely was NOT prepared for this.

So anyways, when taking the ferry, sit by the window! You get that nice ocean breeze blowing on your face, and easy access to take pictures. I finally got to my stop, and it was so nice because I was finally here! It is crazy because I couldn't believe I was in Italy! One minute I was in bed back home in the Netherlands, and the next I am in Italy!


I met up with my mom and brother and we sat and drank wine, and then went to the B&B. This place was so cute. It was a quaint little place and it felt very cozy. The guy who runs the place was really nice, and he kept it looking nice too. The B&B is called "B&B Oceano Mare" and I totally recommend it. I can't tell you how much it was, because my mom booked it all, but I can tell you it is great.

Venice is like no other place I have been. I was thinking it could maybe resemble Malta, but it wasn't even close. The streets are crazy, and it is so easy to get lost! There are no traffic lights or stop signs or signs for that matter. It is kind of like a giant maze. You are walking around in what seems like circles, crossing bridges, hitting dead ends, and ending up in random piazza's.

The owner of the B&B told us about a friend of his who has a restaurant not too far from where we were. When we started walking, it turned out that the place was closed, but that was okay because we found somewhere else! It was really really good, and the guy chose for us what we were going to have to eat. It had a Trip Advisor sticker on the front window so it was destined to be good anyways.

After we ate, we just walked around. There was so much to see, so much to do. We ended up taking a gondola ride through the canals, and oh was it gorgeous. I recommend that if you decide to fork up the €100 for a 30 minute ride, you do it as the sun is setting. During the day it is beyond hectic. There are so many people and it is not relaxing at all; but at night it is quiet and the guy steering the gondola tells you some historic facts about different landmarks, and it is really a great time.

The shopping in Venice is nice. Not my kind of style, but if you are into gloves, leather purses, and jewelry, then the shopping is right up your ally. Speaking of ally, there are so many little ones everywhere! Like I said, Venice is like a maze, so when you walk, sometimes you just have to take a chance and turn left, or go right after this next bridge.

Venice, Italy
Outside of shopping, just walking around is a good idea. There is so much to see, and the buildings are just breathtaking. When walking along the canals, you can see a bunch of different little bridges, and boats, and there is always an old church hiding behind some corner.

All the action (shopping, tourists, etc.) seems to happen right around San Marco Square. In the square, there is St. Mark's Basilica. near that is the Grand Canal with the famous Rialto Bridge. Oh is it a sight to see that is for sure.

But if you want to go to other places in Venice, there are a number of different islands that you can take a ferry to (they work just like busses, with different stops along the way). Each island has something totally different to offer; I wasn't in Venice yet, but my mom and brother went to Murano, where they blow glass. During one of the days in Venice, we took the ferry to Lido - to just turn right back around.

Burano, Venice, Italy
On our last full day in Venice though, we took the ferry over to Burano. If you have a day to kill, go spend it there. It is so beautiful! The buildings are so colorful, and there are so many cute little glass and lace shops! Of course it is filled with canals and there are lots of bridges all over.

Unfortunately we didn't go to any museums while in Venice - not quite sure why either - but even just walking around and getting lost in the ally's is fun!

Bottom line, Venice is beautiful. Everyone speaks English, and you wouldn't believe how many American tourists there are. There are also a lot of beggars, and people trying to sell you things. If you have ever been to Mexico, you will know what I mean. Some last things to say is this:
  • The pizza and pasta in Italy is better than anything else
  • Real Italian gelato is pure perfection
  • If you go in the summer, make sure you are prepared for the heat, and humidity
  • Make use of the water spouts located in different piazzas to cool you off in the summer
  • And lastly, enjoy a nice glass of wine on a beautiful night, because you are in Italy!
    On a gondola ride through the Grand Canal

No comments:

Post a Comment