Thursday, June 25, 2015

Goodbye's are never easy

Saying goodbye is never easy. I feel like I have said goodbye to too many people. Friends, family, acquaintances. Before I left for the Netherlands I remember I went over to my best friend Katelyn's house. We sat there talking for hours about how much I will miss when I am away, where I will travel to, and more. I remember right before I left her place we both broke down in tears. Here we were, 20 years old crying in her living room because I was leaving to another country for six months. It sure is a good thing we went to college together! (we have been friends since middle school).

Back then it wasn't easy, and it sure hasn't gotten any easier.

Anastasia and I in Maastricht, NL
When I first moved here to Breda, one of the first friends I made was my roommate living right next
to me, Anastasia. When we first met it was really awkward. I just moved my things in, I was a total wreck because I went through my crybaby stage when I wanted to go home, and I just wanted to wash my bed sheets the second I got to my room.

I remember she was there trying to help me figure out how the hell to use the washer because it was all in Dutch. I didn't know who she was, where she came from, how old she was, nothing. Her and I were sitting at our favorite cafe, Bagels and Beans, talking about how we met and she told me that her boyfriend told her, "stay with that American girl. American's are strong and she will be your best friend, I guarantee."

You know, her boyfriend was right! It can be crazy how you meet people sometimes, but even the most awkward meetings can lead to wonderful friendships.

So, on Wednesday July 24th, my crazy Russian best friend left to go back home in Germany. One down, many more to go.

It was sad. We had so many fun memories together. But like I always say, it is more of a see you later, than goodbye. I swear after she left we messaged each other saying how we missed each other already!

That is just one of my friends. Next on the list, Sofie. Following that is Lotta and then Heidi, and last but not least, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment