Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Trip to Brussels

Brussels, Belgium - Grand Place

Travel the world. That's all I really wanted to do. And what happens when I get the chance to? Um, I go! This past weekend me and my friends Lotta and Heidi went to Brussels, Belgium for a few days, and to say the least, it was an experience.

Just the three of us girls in a different country, experiencing different things, oh how it was lovely. We left on Wednesday, and came back on Saturday. It was the perfect amount of time. We literally did everything we possibly could! 

With this being my first time in Europe, I seem to be so fascinated with everything I see. I mean, I am still amazed that the roads are all brick and not cement. But when I was in Brussels, it was like I was back in time! For one, the air was different. Like, it smelt so sweet and beautiful; but that was probably because every other store was a chocolate or waffle shop. Other than the air, there was just so much history to the city, it was crazy that a place like this existed.

Another thing that was pretty neat, was how different the buildings were compared to Breda. I mean, Breda is the only place I really know when it comes to Europe. There is so much I haven't seen, so when I went to Brussels, I was so amazed at how different the style and architecture was; they are filled with so much history it seems unreal.

Outside of the awesome buildings, it was nice being around people who speak a different language rather than Dutch. Turns out, two years of taking French in High School paid off! It was so much fun being in a place where you can speak their language. I mean, I have tried learning Dutch, but bottom line, I always feel dumb whenever I say anything. Nothing against the Dutch or their language, I think it's just that I find it hard to learn. Anyways, it was fun speaking French to all the people there.

Chocolate Shop in Brussels
Okay, so besides the pretty buildings and the locals speaking French, lets get down to what really matters. The food.

Seriously, the city smelt like heaven. Every other store seemed to be a place that sold either waffles, chocolate or souvenirs. I sort of felt like I was in a town that Willy Wonka created. I can't tell you how many free samples of chocolate I had, nor can I say how much chocolate I had to begin with. But what I can say, is that the rumors are most definitely true. Belgian chocolate is like no other. It's so delicious, and once you try a chocolate bar from some small shop in Brussels, you will never want to eat another Hershey's bar again. 

So, after this trip was all said and done, I think I gained an extra 5 pounds from all the junk food I ate. And I don't regret one bite. But it's okay, because just like here in Breda, you seem to walk everywhere! 

I have come to the ultimate conclusion that maps make you believe that things are a lot farther than they really are; especially here in Europe. I feel like anytime I look at a map of a city, I just wish I had my car. But it turns out that everything is so close, that you don't need your car because everything is walking distance. 

St. Michael's Cathedral - Brussels, Belgium
When we were in Brussels, we actually took the metro everywhere. The metro was something totally new to me as well. It was pretty much the same thing as a subway. We don't have subways in Flagstaff, or back home in LA; but it was a fun experience. When we didn't take the metro to parts of the city that were farther away, we walked everywhere. Thats when we saw all the little pubs, old churches, and fun little shops.

I think that when you just walk, and don't really use a map to see where you are going, that's sometimes when you find many wonderful places. Now of course that isn't always the case, but for this trip to Brussels, it definitely was. 

I can't really say everything about this trip because there is just so much to tell, but what I can say is that it was the start to an addiction. It is a wonderful feeling, knowing that you can be somewhere so beautiful. To have an opportunity like this, to study abroad, is something that I am truly grateful for. 

Sometimes it seems so unreal that I am here. And when I say that it is the start to an addiction, I really mean that. I mean, this trip to Brussels was my first trip somewhere different, but I already have plans to go to other places; weather it's with my family when they visit, or with friends just for a long weekend trip. The possibilities seem endless. 




No comments:

Post a Comment