Saturday, February 7, 2015

Finding Happiness

My first week here in the Netherlands was hell. And that can be an understatement. I wanted to go home, I did not care to be here, I didn't want to go anywhere, see anything, meet anyone, or even do anything for that matter.

On the sixth day, things started to look up for me. I was happy, I was keeping busy, and so on. As the day's continue, I was happier being here! Today, I went with Lotta (roommate from Finland) and Agata (other roommate from Poland) to IKEA for the day. We were all thinking how we needed some things for our apartment to make it feel more at home. So, the night before (Friday), I was kind of forcing myself to want to go. Kind of in a bit of a slump.

But by the time Friday morning came around, I was so excited to go with them! We went for a walk to a different part of town before, and then caught a bus to get to the other side of town to the IKEA. To say the least, it was an adventure. and it only cost 5,50 euros for an all day bus pass, so not too bad.

When we got off the bus to go to IKEA, we were all hungry, and what was the first place we see? KFC. If there is anything that I have learned, it is that America has the best KFC. Nothing on the menu was what is served at any KFC in the states. They sell hamburgers there! So I got a chicken sandwich, and noticed that they put sweet sauce on it! Things are definitely different here.

But after buying things at IKEA and getting back to my apartment, I was so happy! Just being able to make this place my home. It makes me so happy that I went, and not only that, but I was able to get myself out of that slump, and find what makes me happy. And now that I have been able to do that, I find this city to be even more beautiful than ever before.

So, things might have been going downhill at first, but like what my mom said to me, "It's all uphill from here".

No comments:

Post a Comment