Monday, February 16, 2015

New Country, Different Culture

When I was thinking about studying abroad, I was thinking more about traveling the world. I thought that I would be traveling every week, and doing awesome things all the time! I learned real quick, that isn't the case. I have spent my entire time here in Breda; which isn't a bad thing! By me staying in Breda for these past three weeks, I have actually learned a lot; and I'm not talking about in school.

I have learned more about how the Dutch people are, which people are nice, which are not, where it's safe to go in the city, and where it isn't, and so on. I think that the one thing I am missing at this point, is being able to speak their language. Speaking Dutch definitely isn't as easy as it was learning French!

Breda is a beautiful city. It is filled with so much culture, history, and interesting food. One of the things I have been able to experience is their celebration of Carnaval. The best way I can describe Carnaval, from an American's standpoint, is this: Carnaval is like a 5-day Halloween tailgate. It's just madness, but it is something different and fun to be a part of.

I can write a huge list of cultural differences when living in another country. For a while, I didn't like the way things were done. I liked the way I did things in America. Even the simplest of things too, like going to the grocery store. When I would walk into Safeway back home, it would take me no time at all to find what I was looking for, but being here it takes me like an hour! I know it sounds ridiculous but when everything is in another language, you have to be careful of what you buy, and make sure you get the right thing.

Here I am, starting my 4th week here in the Netherlands. If you were to ask me during the first week how I felt about being here, I would have been in tears saying I wanted to be home. Now, I understand why people study abroad. And I realize that it's been the best decision I could make.

Yeah, things are different, but it is something you have to get used to. Being away from home is never easy, even going off to college. But the longer I am here, the more I appreciate certain things. Just because I enjoy staying in Breda, doesn't mean that I am not going to travel. I think that when you first think of studying abroad, you assume everything is free. Man I wish that was the case!

Traveling costs more money than I thought, especially since all my money is dollars, and I have to spend euro's. Despite worrying about money, I came here to travel, and that is what I will do. On Wednesday me and my girlfriends from Finland are spending a few days in Brussels. We all have time off school, and it is cheap to travel there!

So, as much as I thought studying abroad would be about traveling, I think now that it is more about the experience. The experience of getting out of your comfort zone, making friends all over again, trying new things, and living somewhere where you are the foreigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment